Yaron S. Rabinowitz M.D. is a corneal surgeon and expert in the treatment and diagnosis of keratoconus. He has published more articles on the diagnosis and treatment of keratoconus than any other practicing eye surgeon in the world. He is Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology at U.C.L.A. School of Medicine and the Director of Eye Research at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. His research on the early detection and genetics of keratoconus has received funding from the National Eye Institutes of Health and for the past 15 years.
His research has provided new insights into the understanding and treatment of keratoconus. Among the insights provided into the understanding of keratoconus are:
- The first to describe that mild topographic abnormalities occur in family members of patients with keratoconus.
- Authored one of the first text books on corneal topography.
- The first to demonstrate through a research study that keratoconus has a genetic basis.
- The first to demonstrate which keratoconus suspect patterns progress to ultimately develop keratoconus.
- Most recently published the first article which demonstrates that the femtosecond laser is accurate and preferable for creating channels to insert INTACS a novel new treatment for patients with keratoconus.
He has been a recipient of multiple awards to acknowledge his contributions to keratoconus research, these include:
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology Honor Award.
- The Jules Stein/UCLA Research Alumni Award.
- The 3rd American to be the honored guest of the French Eye Society.
- The recipient of the International Society of Refractive Surgery and the American Academy of Ophthalmology– Kritzinger Memorial Research Award for contributions to refractive surgery research.
Click here for CV
Dr. Rabinowitz sees patients in consultation at his Beverly Hills office and performs surgery on patients with keratoconus at the Eye Surgery Center Beverly Hills. To contact Dr. Rabinowitz or to schedule an appointment call our office at 310-248-7474.