Advances & Research
Dedicated Research Team
Our dedicated research team has made significant strides in understanding and treating keratoconus. Some of our key accomplishments include:
- Creating specialized software that can identify keratoconus at an early stage.
- Pinpointing the first genetic defect linked to keratoconus.
- Introducing the IntraLase Femtosecond laser for corneal transplantation in keratoconus patients, a leader in southern California.
- Pioneering the safer and more accurate use of the IntraLase laser for inserting INTACS
Our researchers were also the first to provide scientific proof of the role genes play in causing keratoconus. This discovery underscores the importance of identifying and potentially modifying these genes to develop effective medical solutions. We are dedicated to finding a medical cure for keratoconus.
Ongoing Clinical Trials
These trials cover a range of topics, including:
- Advances in Corneal Cross-linking (CXL) surgery
- CXL for adolescents with progressive keratoconus as young as 10 years old
- Exploring Excimer laser PTK (phototherapeutic keratectomy) as an initial treatment for keratoconus.
- Identifying genetic factors in families affected by keratoconus.
- Treating mild to moderate keratoconus using INTACS with the IntraLase laser.
- Assessing the effectiveness of lamellar transplants in keratoconus treatment.
- Developing a genetic test to diagnose keratoconus.
- Utilizing videokeratography indices for early keratoconus detection.